Monday, January 19, 2015

My Grandfather's Words


Fourteen years ago today my grandfather left his earthly life.
 This has been a day of much reflection for me.  I went out to my Grandfather and Grandmother’s final resting place and sat under my favorite tree. As I sat there, I read a letter that my Grandfather had written to me when I was just an infant. He had written it as though I would be an adult when I would first read it. He was right. His words are so wise. Poppa was always such a wise man.  As I read his words, my eyes swelled with tears. All I could think about is how disappointed he would be at the situation with my Dad and I. Is he disappointed in me because I gave up?  Would he be disappointed with my Dad in his treatment of me?  Most likely yes to both questions. I always go back to a Bible verse he included in my letter and that is:
 John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free”
In his heart, my Grandfather believed once I knew the truth all would be good…..but it is not. I knowing the truth was obviously important to him and I wish he could have known before he left this world that I finally was told the truth. I have no doubts he now knows. As I read his words today, the sun shined through the thick branches of the tree. I could feel the warmth on my face and hands. Most of all, I could feel his love.
I miss you so much Poppa.


No comments:

Web Statistics